[sldev] Uh... what was with the sudden voice release?

SL - Farallon Greyskin sl at phoca.com
Sat Aug 4 10:06:36 PDT 2007

> What worries me is that it really is essentially a randomly selected port
> in a range of thousands of possibles - which is really going to limit any
> use on corporate and quite a few academic networks. Asking the firewall
> team to open half a dozen outgoing ports on a firewall is one thing, but
> asking them to open thousands is quite another.

Matthew

> That's just an aside from the current issue though, which is that the
> Vivox servers appear to be in charge of port assignment and other then
> through guess and check reverse engineering there isn't a solid way to
> figure out what the networking requirements for this service are. In all
> fairness though it isn't any worse than Skype's port hopping protocol.
>
> John Hurliman

This sort of thing used to be a major PITA to be sure :(

These days firewalls a generally more sophisticated though and though
stateful inspection on perimeter firewalls and application approval on local
firewalls its not as big a problem as it used to be thankfully. Skype is a
good example...

Not as good as if it were more predictable, but pretty much the same as the
other VOIP options they are already having to deal with.

Also, /so far/ it looks like most if not all the problems  with voice
connecting and disconnecting and not reaching the servers has actually been
LL's servers that have been the problem. Many people have turned off their
firewalls completely (stupid but...) and it in most if not all cases it did
not help at that moment in time. :(

Farallon