[sldev] OSX mutex-related lockups

Nicholaz Beresford nicholaz at blueflash.cc
Tue Aug 7 15:45:54 PDT 2007

Steve wrote:
> The design intention is for mutexes to be unnested and to enforce good
> threading design to avoid deadlocks.

I am working with nestable mutex for years now (basically because
that is the default (or even only option) under Windows and my experience
is that being able to nest mutex allows for a lot more encapsulated
and modular design.

 > I am making the change right now and will test for deadlocks on Windows.

The lock trevor was seeing under Mac was with one of my patches
(one that's not accepted so far ... it is the one for immediately
writing uploads to cache).

If the Mac version doesn't deadlock (with default to unnestable mutex),
I guess the Windows viewer won't also.

Nick
---
Second Life from the inside out: