[sldev] RFC: Vectorisation control patch (Was: SSE)

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sat Aug 11 13:05:09 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-12 at 01:19 +1000, Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
> I also didn't turn on autovectorisation for ix86/AMD64,
> as you'd need to pick either sse or sse2 to do that, losing the runtime
> switching we currently have.

Actually I'd like to see an option to hardwire in SSE2. x86_64 always
has SSE2, and does all its fp math with SSE so runtime switching is
pretty senseless.

Same goes for OSX on Intel, all Intel Macs have SSE3.

I've also pulled out my 1.4ghz Athlon T-bird, and am considering tooling
around with a 3dnow version...