[sldev] RFC: Vectorisation control patch (Was: SSE)

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Sat Aug 11 21:51:39 PDT 2007

Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
> Here's my patch to make the SSE/SSE2 slightly less euphoric in the
> platforms it tries to run on.
>
> I've RFCd it here since I've only PowerPC Linux to test it on, and...

A quick look says the #if directives are more preventive than
permissive. Avoid them if possible. Use the C/C++ if blocks instead when
possible, like the hasAltiVec(), which could be defined as 0 at the
preprocessor level and then the whole block will be excluded if really
needed.

The comments after the #else and #endif is good indicator that the
entire #if block is too complex and needs to be simplified.

The preventive blocks do prevent binary plug-ins. We need placeholders
instead of exclusions.

etc...

--
Power to Change the Void