Vote for voice protocol documentation (was: Re: [sldev] SLDev-Traffic #24)

John Hurliman jhurliman at wsu.edu
Wed Aug 15 15:15:42 PDT 2007

I've asked several questions about the voice protocol on this list and
filed a JIRA for a documentation request when the voice viewer was
released, I guess the only tool left is voting on the JIRA issue.

http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-2029

Also, can we move the voice discussion beyond bringing up Speex or other
free codecs until someone can prove that these will actually work with
Vivox servers? Linden Labs did not write the voice code, they don't own
any of the patents, and they don't run any of the VoIP servers. Asking
them to switch to brand X isn't going to accomplish anything.

The line between free and non-free has currently been drawn at the
XML-over-TCP pipe from the SL viewer to the SLVoice daemon. In theory
this line could be pushed further since most of the voice architecture
is built on free software and the codec and 3D positional algorithms
from DiamondWare are the only truly non-free bits I've found, but I'm
not yet convinced that there's any benefit to reverse engineering the
voice daemon for the purposes of using with the official viewer. It
doesn't solve any of the original problems with patented algorithms and
doesn't make alternative platform clients any more feasible. The only
benefit there would be for libsecondlife bots to have lower level access
to the Vivox API and hopefully be able to inject/extract raw audio streams.

John Hurliman