[sldev] "directed audio"? [was: Vote for voice protocol documentation]

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Aug 16 03:24:41 PDT 2007

Yep, that about sums it up.

Technically, though I suspect Callum is right - in RL this isn't really projectional audio, it is really modelling the occlusion caused by the sound emitter itself and also the sound receiver.

e.g. the easiest way to do spatial audio of an avatar talking is to regard the avatar itself as the sound source - but as mentioned this means the sound intensity is the same regardless of which way the avatar is facing.

a more acurate way is to have the avatar's mouth as the sound source, and include the avatar's head and body in the occlusion calculations for the audio.

Similarly, you could simple have an avatar as the sound receiver or more accurately have the avatar's ears as the receiver and the avatar's head and body included in the audio occlusion.

However, I doubt if diamondware et al go to quite these lengths, and probably just have some simple heuristics based on the direction things are facing in a similar way that graphics engines handle directional/projectional light sources.

Matthew