[sldev] "directed audio"? [was: Vote for voice protocol documentation]

Dirk Moerenhout blakar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 03:32:15 PDT 2007

Note that it is probably only based on the direction of the sender.
You don't really hear things worse if you turn your back on someone.
The difference is that the sound is bounced differently by the pinna.
The subtle sound changes that results into help you to determine where
the sound came from.

Note that without the pinna you're supposed to hear only 10% less or
so I've been told. But you would lose sense of front and back audio. I
doubt they have cut off enough ears to really test that though :-)

Dirk aka Blakar Ogre