[sldev] Fresh new code: eventlet and mulib

Ryan Williams (Which) rdw at lindenlab.com
Tue Aug 28 18:02:44 PDT 2007

Rob Lanphier wrote:
> On 8/28/07 4:27 PM, aric rubin wrote:
>
>> Jumping in if I may, I'd suggest that the benefits of keeping all
>> issues in one place (pjira) far outweigh the difficulties of the use
>> of the application. I strongly recommend simply staying with pjira for
>> bug tracking. It'll save us all cycles and pain in the long run.
>>

> I have to agree, but perhaps for slightly different reasons.  We don't
> have a great way of doing scalable account management for Trac.  We're
> currently doing svn/Trac access as a one-off, since I'm imagining less
> than a hundred accounts there, but we're not set up to create accounts
> for every person who might want to report a bug in eventlet and/or mulib.
>
> We can possibly create a different project(s) in JIRA for these
> libraries, and should strongly consider it (e.g. "EVT" and "MULIB")

I think the arguments for using JIRA elsewhere in this thread are more
compelling than the administrative overhead argument, but it sounds like
we all agree PJIRA is the right thing.

On the subject of the separate projects, it's like a reflection of the
discussion we had about repository layout.  One the one hand, new
projects = more clutter, but on the other, we don't really have a
compelling "parent" concept that really encompasses both (not to mention
any future code we put out).  I suppose that since we chose two separate
repositories we should choose two separate JIRA projects, but it seems
to me that the clutter argument is stronger here since all projects show
up on that main JIRA dashboard.  Ugh, it looks alphabetical, too, so we
can't even push the more active projects to the top.  I imagine that's
why MISC has so many misclassifications in it -- it's just #1!
> I suppose that it's going to create a strange situation where someone
> using eventlet who isn't using Second Life will still need a Second Life
> account just to file bugs against it.  However, that seems like a better
> situation to me than having to personally create accounts for each new
> eventlet user.

There is anonymous ticket creation....  O.o

-RYaN