[sldev] Upcoming viewer releases?

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Tue Aug 28 19:32:39 PDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 03:55:25AM +0200, Nicholaz Beresford wrote:

> Second Life from the inside out:
> http://nicholaz-beresford.blogspot.com/
>

> Soft Linden wrote:
> >Linden Lab isn't a monolithic "they."
>
> Well, I'd say that's an example of reality bubble.  From the inside
> it may seem like this, from the outside it doesn't.  I hardly hear
> anyone refer to a specific Linden, it's mostly "the Lindens" were
> doing this or that.

While I won't disagree that LL isn't nearly as transparent as it could
be, "the Lindens" at least in my case is something that includes a lot
of different things actually.

For example, from my own memory of using that term, I've used it to
mean:

Plural, referring to Soft and Tofu when saying something like "the
Lindens say there's a Linux voice binary in testing".

Unknown, such as when I remember somebody announced something, but
didn't pay attention/don't remember who said it.

Intentionally obscuring the source: When I'm transmitting some
information and am not 100% sure of that my information is correct
(something like "I think the Lindens mentioned...") and want to avoid
the possibility of misquoting something.

LL as a whole, used interchangeably with "LL", for official
information from blog/notices where I consider the exact Linden either
not important, or didn't even bother looking at which one it was.

Point being, IMO usage of the term doesn't necessarily mean  LL is
impenetrable. Information sometimes gets lost or is intentionally not
included.