[sldev] Re: OS-SL Development Issues (was Upcoming viewer releases)

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Wed Aug 29 04:34:50 PDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 06:22:36AM -0500, Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> Dale Glass writes:
> >My development environment is: SL on one monitor, IDE on another.
> >Paying
> >attention to IRC is inconvenient, I'd idle all day even if I logged
> >in.
> >Why not create a SL group instead?
>
> SL groups have a lot of problems for this. I had to drop out of
> sculptie-dev in-world because
> 1. I'm already at 24 groups and I need to keep one free for vendors.
Should be fixed

> 2. There's no log or history.
There isn't? IMs can be logged if you enable it. It's far from ideal
ATM, but I've got some old code I wrote to precisely improve the log
system. This got rolled back for the time being due to more urgent
things to work on.

> 3. There's no way to be in-world without being online all the time to
> all your groups, friends, etcetera. It's like having a cellphone and
> GPS that's bonded to you and activates every time you leave your house.
Should be fixed as well.

> In the IM box, for group IMs, we need a checkbox "listen for group
> IMs" that you can turn *off*.
> We need "send group IMs to email", per group... and that needs to be
> sent as a *digest*. Possibly this needs to be enabled per group.
> We need "IM only" groups that don't count against our 25 groups
> because they have no assets associated with them. Or perhaps, we need
> to set a group membership to "IM only"... if a group's set that way
> it's not checked for assets or permissions and doesn't count as one
> of the 25 groups.
> Both these groups and regular groups also need a "group home
> location" and a "TP to group home" button, to let people go from "IM"
> to in-world chat.
So what have you been waiting for to say this? :-)

I mean, SL *could* do all this. I think that it's fundamentally wrong to
move things outside SL when SL could conceivably handle them correctly.
SL is what needs to be fixed.

> >[12:05] Update server: Sending new version... [Dale Glass at
> >secondlife://Perry/128/128/128]
>
> Oh yes! God, this needs to be in the main viewer, so everyone can see:
This still needs some work, but I expect a release in my viewer today.

For a proper patch I still need to do some cleanup. But most of this is
in my SVN already:

http://svn.daleglass.net/sl/branches/log_object_owners/

diff against this to get a patch:
http://svn.daleglass.net/sl/branches/buildfixes_1-18-2/