[sldev] Re: OS-SL Development Issues (was Upcoming viewer releases)

Ryan Williams (Which) rdw at lindenlab.com
Wed Aug 29 12:27:41 PDT 2007

Kelly Linden wrote:
>> Wasn't there some plan to use Jabber? I think that should solve the
>> issue nicely.
>>

> There has been no recent development on this, and I don't think ever
> any development beyond design discussion.  It is a non-trivial task
> and it may take some convincing to move it into the 'improves
> stability of SL' group.
As I recall (just listening in to onversations), the problem with
Jabber, specifically ejabberd, was that it wasn't proven to scale as
well as our current solution.  YA RLY, our current solution handles
unbounded numbers of members in a group (i.e. tens of thousands), and
unbounded numbers of open group/conference chats.  Jabber hasn't ever
been deployed under those conditions.  Now, you may question the design
decisions (or lack thereof) that led us to this place, but here we are,
and it'd be hard to go back.

Also, apparently it's difficult to work with the Jabber API, so it
seemed at the time of the discussion that just improving the current
system would be better.  Currently it scales great, but the latency sucks.

-RYaN