[sldev] Email from JIRA and Wiki (Re: Upcoming viewer releases?)

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Wed Aug 29 14:28:25 PDT 2007

On 8/29/07 1:22 PM, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> Of course a large part of the problem is Jira doesn't seem to support
> email notification. Insanity! A lot of actual Fedora workflow happens in
> Bugzilla, which does email notification by *default*, essentially
> turning each bug into a mini mailing list, and thus integrates bugzilla
> into my email workflow.

This is taking WAY longer than I was hoping for, but it is in progress:
https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-58

(/me gets out cattle prod again)

It's actually our fault that JIRA's not set up this way; we're trying to
tie it to our auth system.  However, if JIRA had this feature, we'd use
it instead and flip the switch:
http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-3619

We're a little nervous about just trusting that people enter their email
without validation coming from somewhere.

> Now wiki... does the wiki do email notification? Wiki's are a good
> documentation maintenance platform, but I do not see the advantage for
> general discussion. Fedora uses a wiki for all our project
> documentation, even.

Email from wiki works.  You have to both enter your email in your
profile, and validate it from the profile (there's a button for sending
the validation mail).  Once you do that, you get emails any time a page
on your watchlist changes.  It's pretty smart about notifications; you
only get one notification per page until you revisit the page, which
sets the watch trigger again.

Rob