[sldev] Re: OS-SL Development Issues (was Upcoming viewer releases)

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 15:26:44 PDT 2007

> Real time chats: Things are happening right now. Multiple
> participants.
> Expectation of quick reply. Conversation is ephemeral. Examples:
> IRC, SL group chat, SL public chat
>
> Message lists: Messages are stored. Multiple participans. No
> expectation
> of quick reply. Conversation is long lasting, very old posts can be
> replied to. Examples: Mailing lists, usenet, email, message boards.

IRC is both of these.

In fact on the IRC channel I frequent, some people take so long
responding that a delayed response often gets humorously tagged with
his nick.

We all do it.

> Things SL is lacking: Message lists, and broadcasts. I'd like to some
> day be able to move the mailing list to inside SL,

I want to use SL as my window manager, using the same technology as
the media texture but *entirely* local to my computer.

Eg, in preferences:

Program texture #1: [ UUID ]
Command line: [ open Mail.app ]
Window [ Mail ]

Then when I have that texture in view, and I click on it, it runs
Mail.app iff needed and displays what I see on that window.