[sldev] Upcoming viewer releases?

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Thu Aug 30 09:56:10 PDT 2007

Rob Lanphier wrote:
> This is a necessity, and is very common.  Sun and Novell are two
> prominent examples.  The Free Software Foundation even has one.

The FSF knows it is not Open Source by default. FSF advocates struggle
more to make software free as in free beer. Open Source advocates
struggle more to make software and the process to collaborate on that
software free as in freedom. The FSF does, however, try to stay within
the limits of the Open Source Definition.

It may be a 'necessity' for what is being produced as 'free beer' but is
it not needed, even hypocritical if required, for 'freedom'.

> Many open source projects don't have this type of agreement because they
> start as just a side project, and balloon out from there.  Once you've
> accepted too many significant contributions sans contribution agreement,
> it's too late to retrofit.

This can be said, like vice versa, the same way for what is being
started as an internal project.

> Which is more important:
> a.  A new feature implementation from the community that may have a
> destabilizing effect on the viewer
> b.  A bugfix to fix a stability problem, not necessarily from the community

You forgot:

c. A new feature implementation from internal work that may have a
destabilizing effect on the viewer
d. A bugfix to fix a stability problem, not necessarily from internal devs

Just shows that you lack virtue with the Open Source community. How are
you gonna change that?

> We're reasonably fast about picking up bugfixes these days, and would be
> faster with more help from the community in bubbling them up on the bug
> triage agendas.  The developers who might be "assigned" to see that
> contributions are funneled through the system happen to be very good at
> "b".

It would always be faster to rely on gruntwork.

> This is made even harder by the fact that people don't get "assigned" at
> Linden Lab.  They choose their assignments.  One thing that the
> community could do to help on this front is to make Linden Lab
> developers *want* this gig.
There are those ready and well qualified to be employed to replace them
if they don't want the gig.

>   I'll continue to stress the importance of
> doing this work and being more transparent in our development process,
> but this will go much smoother if you all can make sure that it's a
> valuable, enjoyable, fulfilling, and productive investment of time.
>
> Rob

Live by your words, Rob. When you told me "get professional help," it
was not enjoyable. You decided to kinda ignore me but seemed to have
made the situation worse.

You got to realize that people, like me, invest a lot of time in Open
Source to actually help themselves help support their family. As long as
LL produces source as 'free beer', then there is no 'freedom' to make it
a valuable, enjoyable, fulfilling, and productive investment to
eventually help my family.

Rob, as long as you are on pay-roll working with so-called Open Source,
I doubt you will truly understand the virtue of Open Source.

I'm not so mean to say you should get fired over false advertisement of
LL being Open Source, but I do say that you should live by your words
and let this become a worthwhile investment.

Hmm. I doubt you would be brave enough to work next to me, especially
after the childish remark of how you said "get professional help."
Working together is a great investment, but that is where you stopped. I
really don't have anything against any other Lindens.

My baggage is quite a pain I would love to heal, but the type of help I
need is the type of a worthwhile investment of my time... not how you
implied me being psycho. I don't appreciate that.

I believed LL was and is a worthwhile investment of my time, but...
hmm...  I've lost a lot of hope, but now WoW lets me continue to talk
and have fun with me kids even under obvious pressures of  P.A.S.

LL needs to understand 'family' value, but looks like sex sells and
forces families into separate grids in the SL. What's more worthwhile,
valuable, enjoyable, fulfilling and productive?

--
Power to Change the Void