[sldev] I apologize

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Thu Aug 30 18:22:06 PDT 2007

On Friday 31 August 2007 03:03:07 Strife Onizuka wrote:
> Ctrl+Alt+Shift+H is not an Easter Egg or a bug but was created as a
> way to make sure chat was working. It's an old QA feature. But all
> things considered it might as well be seen as an Easter Egg.

It'd be very strange as a test, since it only goes through a small part of the
chat code. Especially one that has a random chance of failing, intentionally.

And it's most specifically described as an intentional bug in the source,
described as "Create a bug for our users to find."

http://doc.daleglass.net/llhippo_8cpp.html (see detailed description)

source:
http://doc.daleglass.net/llhippo_8cpp-source.html#l00039

There are actually two hippo bugs in the source. The first one is
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+H, in llhippo.cpp, which works 100% of the time if the region
name starts with a vowel, and 50% otherwise.

The other one is the (hippos) instead of (waiting), which is in the avatar
name cache. The cache returns (hippos) with 1% probability while the name is
being fetched from the grid. You can see it pretty much anywhere a name can
appear, such as profile screens, the friends list and object properties.

I remember one day the grid was quite broken, and quite a few people were
wondering why they had hippos in ther friends list :-)