[sldev] New viewer released with logging of the owners of speaking objects and their location

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Fri Aug 31 11:14:38 PDT 2007

On Friday 31 August 2007 19:38:12 Kelly Linden wrote:
> Just to confirm: region ids seldom if ever change, even when a region is
> moved.
That's good to know :-)

> Thoughts on a 'region id to region name' service:
> This currently requires a DB hit.  We are stingy about DB hits whenever
> possible.  It seems like easily cachable data so it probably isn't a
> problem, but it probably isn't a completely trivial task either.  As our
> webservices infrastructure really gets rolling (it is in its infancy
> right now) this sort of thing may actually become extremely easy,
> although it would probably fall lower on the priority list than moving
> existing data paths to the webservices.  Using the map api probably
> isn't that bad of an approach in the mean time.
Well, if this gets popular you'll end up with database hits anyway, although
I'm doing all I can to minimize them.

Here's the current plan (slightly updated):

Viewer will ship with region_names.xml, which contains the info. This will
include the complete list of sims seen on the map. This currently includes
region name, key and handle. Entry will be included even if the key couldn't
be obtained.

Viewer uses this for doing lookups. If it's an entry with a key, no DB hits
are needed. If it's an entry with no key (eg, region was down at the time),
then it will do a RegionHandleRequest and check if the handle can be found in
the file. This will be displayed as an uncertain result, as the handle might
have changed.

Usage of the world map will also update the cache, which should compensate.

If that still doesn't work, it'll do a MapBlockRequest for the whole grid, and
use that to update all the listed handles. This will be limited to one time
per run.

This, I think, is about as low of an impact I can manage to do without some
help from LL.

A RegionNameRequest would save me the trouble of implementing all this, as
well as the DB impact. The file shipped with the viewer could be kept, so the
very rare cache miss (I'd expect more than 99% hits) would result in a lookup
of a single sim, instead of a huge MapBlockRequest.

> It is also interesting to think about what the right approach is for
> open source features that require some amount of back end work to support.
>
>  - Kelly

Well, I'm not exactly an impartial party, but I'd like suggestions of the sort
to be considered. I'm more than willing to discuss different approaches and
such if needed.

For a start, how should a RegionNameRequest work? I think it should probably
work by handle, as they're used for everything already (why? I'm feeling
curious), and it would allow to very easily build the premade cache file
shipped with viewers, instead of having a bot hop through the grid.