[sldev] [VIEWER] Re: New viewer released with logging of the owners of speaking objects and their location

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Fri Aug 31 17:59:44 PDT 2007

On Saturday 01 September 2007 02:22:27 John Hurliman wrote:
> If you are looking at shipping an avatar key/name database, I think I
> still have one lying around the hard drive that was complete as of a few
> months ago. It's not small though, even after compression.

Nah, too big, and the overhead is already there.

My reasoning is: I want to be on friendly terms with LL, so I will try to
avoid adding grid load when possible. From that POV, I will ship a cache file
if it's easy enough for me to do so.

On the other hand, the avatar DB would run into the multi-MB range even if
efficiently packed, plus the dataset is huge and most people wouldn't even
see 1% of it under normal usage. So not really worth it. Now, I don't see why
it currently expires entries at all, unless name changes are actually
happening. I'd just keep the data around indefinitely.

I've got my own key DB, btw, although probably not as complete.