[sldev] Re: Questions on the particle system

Dirk Moerenhout blakar at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 15:12:37 PST 2007

> That makes sense, but IMO it doesn't make sense to limit it. Tracking
> particles off-screen can't be that much work. It's rendering what involves
> a performance hit. My understanding of "particle limit" is that if set to
> say, 4096 that means maximum 4096 *on the screen*

In a system only limited by on screen particles you'd soon find out
that tracking particles takes a lot more time than rendering them.
Rendering 4096 particles is not a GPU intensive task. They are 2D
sprites that always face the camera. I rarely see a scene that has
less than 125K triangles in view so the easy to render particles
aren't bogging down your GPU.

Dirk aka Blakar Ogre