[sldev] [VWR] Vectorization on i386?

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Mon Dec 3 06:26:08 PST 2007

What is it you are trying to do and on what OS?

The vectorization status you showed only provides indicators if
particular vector-processor enabled routines are being called. There is
only one set right now, and they are the avatar skinning for GPU's that
don't have hardware skinning.  If your GPU has skinning, those routines
will not be enabled.

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> Okay, I've never ever seen vectorization work on any of my i386
> machines.
>
> ->mHasSSE:     1
> ->mHasSSE2:    1
> ->mHasAltivec: 0
> ->mCPUMhz:     2134
> ->mCPUString:  Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.13GHz
>
> 2007-12-03T07:50:25Z INFO: update_vector_performances: Vectorization         : DISABLED
> 2007-12-03T07:50:25Z INFO: update_vector_performances: Vector Processor      : COMPILER DEFAULT
> 2007-12-03T07:50:25Z INFO: update_vector_performances: Vectorized Skinning   : DISABLED
>
> Its detecting the presence of SSE2, but it refuses to use it. I don't
> understand why. I have confirmed that it IS in fact compiling in the SSE
> code. I've hacked around trying to force it to use SSE with no success.
> The vector initialization code is a rats nest of indirection.
>
> It enables SSE2 just fine compiled for x86-64. I don't see any x86-64
> specific #defines so I don't understand why that makes the difference.
>
> Note that I've never seen it work in the official builds either, so its
> not just me.

Power to Change the Void