[sldev] Re: Questions on the particle system

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 10:52:23 PST 2007

On 03-Dec-2007, at 09:48, Dale Glass wrote:
> Precisely why I think it shouldn't be prioritized by area. If you
> calculate by area, lots_of_particles * fairly_large_size adds up to a
> lot more than one big particle.

AH. Miscommunication.

We're not talking about the same area.

I'm talking about the angle subtended by the entire particle system,
the area it covers on the screen. At a first approximation that would
be done by finding the greatest of the velocity times the lifetime or
the emitter radius, adding the major axis of the particle, squaring,
and dividing by distance squared.

I'm not sure the number of particles even needs to be involved here.

>> That effect is at zero distance from the camera: you're inside it.

> No, because I currently calculate based on the distance to the
> emitter.

Yeh, I grok that. I'm suggesting that's not necessarily the right
approach. If you're inside the particle system it should be given the
same priority whether the emitter's 5 meters or 1 meter away.