[sldev] [POLICY] OpenSL considered harmful?

Kelly Linden kelly at lindenlab.com
Tue Dec 11 09:07:57 PST 2007

Joshy Squashy wrote:
> OpenSL (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page) is an open source
> alpha Second Life server framework.  It is extremely crippled, with
> limited scripting options and a large number of missing features;
> however, it is functional.
>
> The laboratory at my college has been doing research using synthetic
> worlds in education software projects and software engineering
> projects for some time.  We have been following development of OpenSL
> for some time, as we are very excited with the possibilities of having
> access to the source code for both the client and server (particularly
> in situations when the SL server should also be some other type of
> server).
>
> Though OpenSL isn't much at the moment, we are approaching the point
> where we plan to try OpenSL servers for some very simple projects.
> However, some colleagues disagree that we should consider OpenSL,
> claiming they are reverse-engineering Second Life's message protocols
> and that having the potential for hosting "free" Second Life servers
> is a threat to Linden Labs so Linden Labs will either shut down OpenSL
> or release client versions that render OpenSL unusable.
>
> While I don't know Linden Labs opinion on the subject, I would think
> that such claims don't amount to much.  Releasing a client version
> that renders OpenSL unusable can't really happen because the client is
> open source so it's a trivial matter to remove the code that prevents
> interoperability.  However, shutting down OpenSL I see as conceivable
> but unlikely; the OpenSL server is so crippled that one would need
> very specific reasons as to why it would be desirable to use it, and
> Linden Labs hasn't taken action yet.  I simply don't see Linden Labs
> as considering this to be a threat, particularly considering their
> substantial existing userbase and that my understanding is that
> they've been toying with the idea of releasing the server code
> outright themselves for some time already.
>
> Still, my colleagues and I would be very interested in hearing Linden
> Labs direction in dealing with those involved in developing 3rd party
> Second Life server frameworks.
>
> ~Squash Otoro
As others have pointed out, we are working with OpenSim (along with
other people) in the AWG groups on standards of interoperability.   From
the wiki page:
"AWG's mission is to develop the protocols that will open up the Second
Life Grid from something operated solely by Linden Lab to where others
can run parts of the grid."
I think someone linked it already, but more info on AWG here:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Architecture_Working_Group

I am sure the AWG group, and myself personally, would be interested in
any reasoning for using OpenSim over SL - what you mean by "when the SL
server should also be some other type of server" etc.  Your requirements
probably aren't entirely unique and I'm sure the group could benefit
from hearing them.

As for OpenSim specifically, we don't have the means to block access to
them (due to the open source client as mentioned), nor do I think we
have the desire to.  I can't offer any official statement about OpenSim
or our future interactions with them, but I think our work with AWG
speaks clearly towards our intent.

 - Kelly