[sldev] The criminalization of open source

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 20:18:43 PST 2007

Jesse Barnett wrote:
> Unfortunately Linden Labs DID learn from the Copy Bot
> fiasco. At first they did try to say that nothing was wrong with a copybot if used correctly.
> They learned that logic doesn't work as a tool
> to educate the ignorant masses. People still say shhhhh when you say the
> word GLIntercept and OMG if someone was to mention OGLE in the forums.
> Unfortunately the "we want a false sense of security crowd" is a very
> large, noisy crowd.

The crowd who wanted to make SL into something like the Sims Online was
large and noisy too.  Their expectations were adjusted.

People who are still in a "game" mindset might expect Linden Lab to
"stop cheaters".  I think that's where some of this comes from.  Linden
Lab has said in the past they aren't going to get into some silly arms
race.   They just need to stick to that and not waver, if they want this
to be taken seriously as an open platform.

-Jason