[sldev] The criminalization of open source

Tao Takashi tao.takashi at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 18 00:26:53 PST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 4:05 AM, Jason Giglio <gigstaggart at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was very disappointed with the Linden Lab response to VWR-1919.  For
> background, James has committed code to remove the ability to get
> texture UUIDs from the client UI.
>
> This caving to the ignorant is tantamount to Firefox removing "Save
> Image As..." in order to "discourage infringement".

+1 also from me. This really is just about generating a false sense for
security.
In the long run it is definitely better to educate the crowd about the
potential problems
of having data on the internet. I can understand content creators but
removing this option
is not a solution.
It will just come back as boomerang when people ask how this could be
copied. It will also
weaken the open source movement and 3rd party browsers which might still
have this enabled.

Well, Jason said it all anyway..

-- Tao

taotakashi at gmail.com