[sldev] The criminalization of open source

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Dec 18 12:54:46 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 13:49 +0100, Dale Glass wrote:
> Since we're at it, does anybody NEED it back? For practical usage for
> some purpose, and not as a political statement I mean.
>
> > It's merely a placeholder for something much bigger, and my life
> > is just too short to enter the arena of political or religious
> > issues in SL.
> I'm not that interested in politics myself either. My philosophy is that
> if it's useful, it'd rather keep it.

Meh. My viewer has had a patch to allow "Hacked Godmode" on the main
grid for some time now. Which allows getting texture UUIDs of anything,
and so much more...

As a general beef I've been wanting to get off my chest, obfuscation
just makes debugging difficult. If I'd just been able to select a broken
texture and save it, I could have tested it in isolation and probably
figured out the lossless texture bug way earlier.

I went digging in to the LLImage classes, and it seems there's
a ::save() method already implemented. At least for textures it seems
"Save As" is just a simple (heh) matter of creating UI for it.

The cache obfuscation also means I can't add my SL cache to my OpenJPEG
test suite. I really want to be able to iterate over every texture in my
cache, and decode them with OpenJPEG. This would allow an easy
"real-world" test, for both bug finding with valgrind, and focusing
optimization efforts.

I don't suppose anyone has a "de-obfuscate the cache" patch already, so
I don't duplicate effort? :)

Also, I've used it in the interest of full disclosure. To have any
chance of counteracting griefers, you have to know how their tools work.
I intercepted a "bury prim". Want one? Here:

Type: Sphere
Path cut begin, end: 0, 0.75
Hollow: 94.9
Twist begin, end: -360, 360
Dimple begin, end: 0.028, 0.05
Size x,y,z: 1.637, 1.637, 2.519

I have not analyzed it to figure out which of those are important. But
create that object, and set it physical. Let it go, and it will most
likely bounce a few times then fly off the sim. If it comes in contact
with any avatar, (Hint, move it on top of an avatar before "letting
go"...) that avatar will be thoroughly buried or possibly orbited.

I tested it on the beta grid. It seems Havok4 has neutralized this
particular exploit. Hell I filled up an entire sim with them, didn't do
anything. Didn't crash the sim either. Nice. :)