[sldev] [AWG] Capabilities

Donovan Preston donovan at lindenlab.com
Wed Dec 19 10:58:55 PST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007, at 5:58 AM, Tao Takashi wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Just FYI: I wrote a bit together about capabilities on my blog:
>
> http://mrtopf.de/blog/secondlife/slga-capabilities-explained-
> technical/
>
> Feel free to correct me there.

Excellent post. I'm not sure your concerns will be problems:

* capabilities are easy to understand (thus easing adoption)

* the seed capability can give you another seed capability into
another service (solves the seed capability requiring global knowledge
problem)

	- the login service gives you an agent domain seed capability

	- the agent domain seed capability gives you a region domain seed
capability (if the agent chooses to enter a region)

* capabilities are usually requested at the beginning of a "session"
with some entity and then used repeatedly (thus you do not need 2 http
requests per request during normal usage)

	- a user wants to log in to just group chat:

		- request the group chat seed capability from the authentication
service, and then request the GetNextMessage and SendMessage
capabilities from the seed cap

		- repeatedly invoke these GetNextMessage and SendMessage
capabilities for the duration of the chat session with the server

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Again, excellent post, great work!

Donovan