[sldev] Automatically backing up scripts locally.

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 08:43:23 PST 2007

On 2007-12-20, at 05:15, Adam Frisby wrote:
> Why not save it as the name + UUID to avoid any kind of collision
> between objects (IE, I'd have ten thousand New Script.lsl's)

Because I was writing about what I'd be satisfied with. Not designing
the ultimate not-quite-a-source-control-system-for-SL.

But now that you mention it I'm not sure that I'd want 10,000 files
named "ANOTHER-DAMN-UUID_New_Script.lsl" instead of just the one that
I happened to have saved last. Plus I don't believe the server tells
you the UUID of the object you just uploaded, wasn't there a
discussion recently about how to find that out? I guess you'll see it
when you get the object updates after the save, but once it's saved
you don't need the backup (at least not for what I was thinking of).
For archival purposes: perhaps save it to ScriptName.lsl and then
rename it to ScriptName.UUID.lsl once it's saved?

If you want the ideal scheme... maybe something like this (modulo
symlink errors):

SLBackup
   ObjectName -> Region1/ObjectName	# Rezzed objects exist in regions
   Region1
     ObjectName -> ObjectName.UUID2	# Names aren't unique, UUIDs are
     ObjectName.UUID1
       Stuff in that other copy of ObjectName
     ObjectName.UUID2			# Rezzed object *do* have a unique name, use
that.
       Properties.xml -- object properties
       Linkset				# Linksets are part of objects
         RootPrim.UUID3 -> ../../Assets/RootPrim.UUID3
         AnotherPrimName.UUID4 -> ../../Assets/AnotherPrimName.UUID4
     Assets
       RootPrim.UUID3			# I think names of rezzed assets are unique
         Parameters.xml -- prim parameters
         ScriptName.lsl -> ScriptName.2007-12-20.lsl		# Hasn't been
saved yet
         ScriptName.2007-12-20.lsl
         AnotherScript.lsl -> ../../Assets/ScriptName.UUID5
         TextureName -> ../../../Assets/TEXTURE_UUID.png		# UUIDs are
unique, but could have a different name in invemntory
         AnotherTextureName -> ../../../Assets/ANOTHER_TEXTURE_UUID.png
         NoCopyObjectName -> Missing/OBJECT_UUID		# Dead link for
missing UUIDs because of perms or whatever
         AnotherObject -> ../../../Assets/ANOTHER_OBJECT_UUID	#
Hasn't been rezzed, is not in region's assets?
       ScriptName.UUID5
         Script.lsl -> ../UUID5.lsl
	State.xml			# Running, etc...
       UUID5.lsl
   Assets				# Assets on asset server or unknown region
     TEXTURE_UUID.png
     ANOTHER_TEXTURE_UUID.png
     ANOTHER_OBJECT_UUID
       Parameters.xml
     UUID6.lsl
   Inventory
     Scripts
       ScriptInInventory -> ../../Assets/UUID6.lsl