[sldev] Automatically backing up scripts locally.

John Hurliman jhurliman at wsu.edu
Thu Dec 20 10:19:36 PST 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:

> ... Plus I don't believe the server tells you the UUID of the object
> you just uploaded, wasn't there a discussion recently about how to
> find that out? ...

You already know the UUID before the upload starts in the Xfer system.
The client generates a random UUID that when MD5ed together with the
current SecureSessionID (a shared secret between client and server)
gives you the future AssetID. The random UUID is sent in the upload
initiation packet, so before the data is even sent across the wire the
client knows what the AssetID will be, and the server knows after the
first packet is sent.

Fun fact: If you somehow get ahold of an enormous amount of computing
power, or figure out a way to build rainbow tables extremely fast you
could orchestrate AssetID collisions which would be guaranteed
entertainment. The possibility of either or those things happening is
probably pretty low though.

John