[sldev] movement within the client

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon Dec 31 14:54:10 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 15:06 -0600, Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> On 2007-12-31, at 14:06, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > (And of course we can and should always ask the question, "How does
> > Quake 1/2/3, Doom3, HL 1/2, Unreal etc etc game engines handle this?",
> > they've been doing this for years... AFAIK a major difference is they
> > all perform collisions/physics simultaneously on the client and
> > server,
> > and resolve any de-synchronization by holding the server
> > authoritative.)
>
> Would that require making Havok part of the client code?

Good question, actually. I'd like to know how Doom3 (Which is apparently
"id Tech 4" now) and Source handle this. Do all clients really perform
full physics simulation? Is the physics simulation predictable enough to
do this on large numbers of colliding objects? The Source engine is
Havok based, actually. However John Carmack has to reinvent the wheel as
usual.

Still, full client prediction of physics is orthogonal to the
functionality I/we want. Better client prediction would be nice. The
"fall through the ground then suddenly pop backwards" thing that happens
in laggy situations, especially when crossing sims, especially in
vehicles, is really annoying and I don't even understands why this
happens. Is the client simulating gravity? As well as the "walk forever"
thing that happens. The client does not seem to have any code in it that
does something like "I have not received any updates from the sim in x
seconds/milliseconds, I should stop moving the avatar as it is likely
not what is intended by the user".