[sldev] Plugin API Architecture for Second Life

Tim Shephard tshephard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 18:37:17 PST 2007

I believe bushing has mostly been using callbacks in functions in the
open sourced code and then loading libraries dynamically via
LoadLibrary/GetProcAddress.

This is certainly one approach, and an interesting one, but there are
many others which have different pros/cons and trade offs.

For example, what do people think about embedding a virtual machine
and running a scripted language such as Python, JavaScript, or
something custom?

What security and stability issues are people concerned about?

Is cross platform support critical?

Do you think LL should support different frame rendering plug ins or
should we keep it so that everyone in SL always sees the same thing
when viewing the world?

Should we be able to communicate back and forth with LSL programs from
the plug in?

Any particular favorite plug in architectures out there that you think
would be a good model for Second Life?

Any other comments people might have?

Cheers,

Tim.