[sldev] 9am office hour topic: plugin architecture

Andy Estes aestes at acm.org
Wed Feb 14 07:16:49 PST 2007

I will try to be there but wanted to add my 5L$ on the list

I believe this will have to be a phased implementation.  Start with some
basics and add to it later.  I would love to have a client-side scripting
environment but agree that should be a separate discussion.

I think there is a general consensus toward the dynamic library load/message
hooks approach.  It is easy to implement and would be useful for an entire
class of filter-style plugins.  The plug-in would need access to some
internal functions (e.g. floater creation, text rendering).  I don't think
it will be very easy to provide hooks into the rendering engine initially
but confess that I haven't spent much time looking at the rendering code so
I would be happy to be proven wrong.  Some type of plug-in manager to

Security is an issue which must be dealt with.  With the ability to hook and
discard messages it might be trivial to write an uber-cool plug-in which
also happens to pay the author a few Linden Dollars every day or so.  Short
of looking at their transaction records, the user would never know.  The
best approach might be Linden issued certificates as it would tie First Life
name (which could remain hidden) to Second Life name to TOS.  Unfortunately,
I don't know if LL would have the cycles to manage this any time soon.

Personally, I am a fan of the design some, prototype some, design some more
style of engineering.  There is a bit of a catch-22 here because the code
base on which we are prototyping is regularly being changed and we don't
know what the next revision will bring.  Still, for my own part, I will
probably set up a local repository and start playing with bushing's code.

My question for Rob and LL is "Would you be willing to accept a phased
implementation (probably over a period of weeks to months) or would you
rather receive a more complete implementation?"

SL: Drewan
FL: Andy