[sldev] Two potential plugin architectures: Inheritance across DLLs and NPAPI

Tim Shephard tshephard at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 10:00:36 PST 2007

Well, the question is how much the plugin will call back into the main
code and how much it will simply provide an API for the main code to
call.

It would be easiest (in some ways) if we could just provide an
interface for the system to call and the DLL does not have to be aware
of functions in the main client.

We could create floaters by create llFloaterProxy or llFloaterPlugin
and then use a Decorator pattern (ala GOF) to implement the behaviour
of the proxy floater.

Unfortunately, everything keeps twisting back into a requirement to
call code in the main code base.   This might be doable for simple
classes that are stateless, however I am concerned that at some point
it starts getting more complicated, less stable, less cross platform
and more crash prone.

If we do export functions to be used in the Plugin DLLs, we may want
to export C methods only rather than C++ classes.