[sldev] LSL initiated Prim metadata was Re: Plugin architecture

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 17:38:00 PST 2007

You have misunderstood the intent of the LSL-initiated prim metadata.

The intent is not to permanently create features this way, in fact it's
unsuitable for this, by design.

Because there would only be one LSL accessible metatag, it would be
difficult to coordinate the use of it between more than one plugin/new
feature.

The idea is that the features will become "official" after being
prototyped using this LSL initiated metadata.

The higher metatag numbers would be reserved for only accepted features
that Linden Lab has begun laying the framework for on the back end.

It would not be practical for a retail product to ever rely on a "tag 0"
feature, since such a feature, by definition, is of limited deployment,
and may in fact even crash clients with a different tag 0 feature enabled.

It is purely for temporary use during development.