[sldev] Re: SLDev Digest, Vol 2, Issue 44

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 06:20:00 PST 2007

> Step ONE is write code (like Dale). Then you can worry about isolating
> it into a plugin once you know what API you need, then you can
> generate
> bindings for Mono and Javascript and Lua and Python and Java and
> Fortran
> and whatever the hell other crack you feel like smoking.

That's how you end up with really really bad APIs. That's how you end
up with Winsock, where a file and a BSD-style socket on Windows use
different calls to read and write. That's how you end up with
Multics, where you had to use a DIFFERENT API to open a file
depending on whether it was 256 kilobytes or more, because the
original API assumed you could map the whole file into memory. And
that's why (to get back to 'The Art of UNIX Programming') UNIX
*isn't* just a baby version of Multics.

The thing that's REALLY stupid is that Linden Labs has an
encapsulation API already, as mentioned in the reply to my message
about how to encapsulate parameters to plugins, and nobody's talking
about how to use that.