[sldev] Lip-sync

Mike Monkowski monkowsk at watson.ibm.com
Tue Feb 27 08:09:58 PST 2007

Mike Monkowski wrote:
>    I've just started looking at the audio parts of SecondLife, but I see
> that it uses FMOD 3.7.4 for streaming audio, although I don't imagine
> that includes voice.  It's not clear what's going on there. Will it be
> converted to FMOD Ex 4? (see http://www.fmod.org/ )  Will it rely on
> ViVox for voice? (see http://www.vivox.com/millionmins.html )

Well, I think I got my answer in a C|NET article today:
http://news.com.com/Integrated+voice+coming+to+Second+Life/2100-1043_3-6162410.html?tag=nefd.top

Some excerpts:
> Next week, Second Life publisher Linden Lab plans to unveil a small beta trial in which,
 > for the first time, people will have access to integrated voice chat.
 >
> The company plans to launch the beta for all users by the end of March, it said.

> "We've been working on this for quite a while," said Joe Miller, Linden Lab's vice
 > president of platform and technology development. "I think there was
some skepticism
 > that we'd be putting something out this soon. It's been in the works
for 8 to 10 months
 > in earnest. Voice has been viewed as a key missing piece to the
overall solution."

> The technology is being provided by two Linden Lab partners: Vivox and DiamondWare.

So now my question is:  I've been looking at the SL releases.  Is this
code in the First Look source release now?