[sldev] Two potential plugin architectures: Inheritance across DLLs and NPAPI

Tim Shephard tshephard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 08:48:30 PST 2007

> With others, you explicitly register every callback in the
> initialization routine.
>
> NSAPI seems to be the former.
>
> I prefer the latter, because it's more stable over the long term, and
> more portable.

I think the newer mozilla plugin has some of that.   Regardless, I
agree with what you're saying, especially as we may want to register
multiple callbacks for the same thing (eg, more than one floater
type..).

 The names you use to register the callback are
> independent of the language you write the plugin in, and they're not
> subject to the restrictions of third party code like compilers,
> librarians, and other parts of toolchains.

Well... I think C is the intersection as you've mentioned.   But I
agree where you're going with that.