[sldev] Plugin system - first code drop

Tim Shephard tshephard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 12:58:13 PST 2007

Another way to deal with the chaos is to develop a layer which shields
the plugin developer from a majority of it.

ie:  instead of tight bindings to the current UI architecture, we
could loosen it up.  A layer of facades that are divorced from the
current system and plugin facing contracts will not be majorly
impacted by changes to the core code base.

Provide the  client with a bit of an internal capabilities API, so if
something is not longer present, they can detect it on startup / on
the fly.

Also, if things are going to be getting busted so much, I believe this
means that  dynamic on the fly, behing the scenes updating of plugins
is becoming more critical.   Users  should be able to get updates
without feeling the  upgrade pain, cause it sounds like they'll be
feeling enough as it is..

Also, I hope we don't let this "all is chaos" approach become an
excuse not to have a dialogue with the Lindens.   That would be
awfully unfortunate..