[sldev] LSL initiated Prim metadata was Re: Plugin architecture

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 13:14:13 PST 2007

On Feb 27, 2007, at 1:25 PM, Jason Giglio wrote:
-snip bunch of irrelevant crap-
> You notice this has *nothing* to do with plugins, not directly.

It doesn't matter whether you think it's got anything to do with
plugins or not. If this is implemented in the server, people will use
it for whatever they can use it for. If people can add code to a prim
to pass information to the client, people will use it for that, no
matter what you intend.

And you still have the problem that since it's untagged (and it is
untagged, the way you describe it) then two people testing different
features will step on each other's toes. No matter what you intend.

> llSetWebTexture(string url, integer face);  //Updates prim tag 1001
> with "webtext, face<facenum>, <url>"
>
> Note that this uses my same API except it is now on a high tag that
> can't be modified directly by users.

Linden Labs already has a mechanism to pass actual property lists,
real *lists*, typechecked in LSL, serialized for transport, and you
want to jam it into strings?

At the very least the tagged data needs to be a list, like all the
other prim properties (primitive parameters, particle systems, etc).

> There is no chance for any "support for undocumented features"
> problem like you mention.

I wish I was as wise as you.