[sldev] Generic LSL->Client Comms

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Tue Feb 27 13:26:27 PST 2007

В сообщении от 27 февраля 2007 16:21 Argent Stonecutter написал(a):
> Dale Glass's hack is really the only way to do it without LL support.
>
> Dale: ever thought about taking your code and combining it with side-
> chat on a well known port to let people start writing scripts that
> talk to LSL directly, now, without waiting for an internal plugin
> architecture?

I'm not entirely sure what's the point of that though. Why use the viewer to
pass chat messages through when you could use libsecondlife instead?

If I was doing the client listening on a socket thing I'd use a much more
complete protocol for program/viewer communication. Probably formatted in XML
(since the viewer already uses a parser might as well use that) and with the
ability to talk to the viewer itself. Then this would be a minor part of the
available functionality.

If you just use the viewer to pass chat messages back and forth then it's hard
to write anything very interesting, and any GUI would be problematic, as
you'd lose it if using SL fullscreen for example.

> For security purposes, how about this?
>
> $VwrComm$CHANNEL$VERSION$COMPONENT$data"
>
> Where CHANNEL has to match the channel the original message was sent on.
>
> This would at least allow you to use the "secret channel number"
> technique to prevent scripted objects around you impersonating
> in many many places so it's as good as what we already use.
Why use the channel? For basic security I'd check the object's key and owner,
and if you want to be really sure you're talking to the right thing, use
CRAM-MD5, which is very easy to implement in LSL.