[sldev] LSL initiated Prim metadata was Re: Plugin architecture

John Hurliman jhurliman at wsu.edu
Tue Feb 27 16:46:50 PST 2007

Jesse Nesbitt wrote:
> I'd also like to point out that LL already has a packet called
> ObjectExtraParams in the message template, so it seems that they're
> already possibly working toward letting us embed metadata.

That is a viewer->sim packet, and is used to set things like lighting
and flexible parameters. Has nothing to do with what you're thinking of.
There are a couple of different places to drop metadata in (the
TextureEntry field being the cleanest one I'm aware of), but the biggest
limitation is staying under the MTU for packets. The more data you pack
in to each object, the less objects you can fit in each packet and the
more packets have to be sent to the viewer for the simulator to properly
render.