[sldev] No change but compiling all over again

Stef Wade Stef.Wade at stots.de
Fri Jan 12 11:08:01 PST 2007

Hi, it's me again.

So, I had some troubles compiling the viewer, which I have solved. The
compile went through ("BUILD=release"). On my dated laptop, this took
several hours, but hey, it's old. I don't complain :)

So, I wanted to get my .tar.bz2, and I started scons another time, using
BUILD=releasefordownload
I expected this command to be quick, since all the compilation has been
done already. We just need to grab some files, move them into the
correct location and compress them, right? (Just like a "make install"
is done quickly after a successfull "make")

But to my surprise, apperently the whole code was compiled again!
A whole bunch of lines starting with "g++-3.4 ..." leads me to the
assumption.
So I wait some more hours, just to see that the actuall making of the
download-package threw up some errors.

Ok, now I want to try the build from within the source-tree. Again, the
gcc-3.4 lines crawl up my terminal-window, as I will have to wait even
more hours, for a compile to finish that I have done twice before.

I did not change a single line of code. I "touched" no file. I did not
even dare to take a look at them using less. Nothing.

Is there a way to make scons to behave like make, reducing the
turnaround time for little or no changes?

Stefan
--
http://LinuxBasics.org                      http://Krone-Neuenburg.com
http://Stefan.Waidele.info                     http://sl.stots.de/blog