[sldev] Chat and IM Line History - Patch

Fairlight fairlight at tigress.com
Sat Jan 13 04:50:05 PST 2007

I just built version slviewer-src-20070112a of the source using VC2005
Express, adapting your patch to the new source version.

Very nice patch, thanks a lot, Zi!

Btw.. I didn't see any limit on how many backlines are stored. I don't
think it'll be an issue, but if you chat a LOT and leave SL running for
half a year, the chat history will take up quite some memory, I assume ^.^

You might wanna submit this patch to LL, btw... I'd SO love to see this
implemented. (Hear me, robla? *grins)

Keep up the good work,
  Fairlight!

Current tests look good, it works as intended in main chat and IM history.

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 02:06:24 +0100, Zi Ree <tinacloud at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi SL-Developers!
>
> Today I started digging deeper into the code of the Second Life Viewer,
> and to
> make myself familiar with how it works, I decided to implement a small
> pet
> feature of mine: chat line history. Coming from the Linux and IRC
> background
> I desperately need a way to recall my previously written lines, without
> having to copy & paste them from some scrollback buffer. So I loaded the
> Viewer source into my favourite project tool and started to work on the
> code.
>
> It took me about half a day to get it done, and I hope it doe swork on
> other
> people’s machines, too. I decided to go for CTRL UP / CTRL DOWN as
> history
> recall keys, because the normal cursor keys are used for walking when the
> chat line is empty, and thus are out of the question.
>
> Please try my patch and tell me if it worked for you or if I messed up
> somewhere :)
>
> Download >>
> http://zi.furhome.net/downloads/patches/chat_line_history.patch
>
> Have fun!
> Zi!

                         (`.-,')
                      .-'     ;               F a i r l i g h t
                  _.-'   , `,-          t h e   w h i t e   l i o n
          .' `  _.-.  /  ,'._;)   E-mail:              fairlight at tigress.com
         (       .  )-| (         Homepage: http://www.tigress.com/fairlight
          )`,_ ,'_,'  \_;)  fL    Puppetry          E-Mail: pawpet at pawpet.de
  ('_  _,'.'  (___,))             Puppetry Homepage:    http://www.pawpet.de