[sldev] alternative os support?

John Hurliman jhurliman at wsu.edu
Mon Jan 22 17:49:14 PST 2007

Todd T. Fries wrote:
> I happen to be running on OpenBSD, and have gotten the client far enough
> running natively to get the following:
>
> 	http://todd.fries.net/pub/secondlife.jpg
>
> I added some discussion to the coding standards wiki, but sofar no response on
> how I should formulate code via #if/#ifdef/#elif/etc when LL_WINDOWS,
> LL_LINUX, and LL_DARWIN do not permit __OpenBSD__...
>
> Any ideas what it would take for the servers at secondlife.com/lindenlabs to
> accept OpenBSD as an os to run a client from?

The easiest method is to pretend to be another OS. During the XML-RPC
exchange with the login server the client sends a platform field that is
defined as "Win" for Windows, not sure about other platforms. I'm
guessing you added another option to an #ifdef somewhere where the
platform field was getting set, so that field isn't being filled in when
you connect. All libsecondlife clients connect as "Win", but maybe we
should change it to Linux to boost up the Linux stats, since many or
most libsl clients are on Linux anyways :-).

John Hurliman