[sldev] alternative os support?

John Hurliman jhurliman at wsu.edu
Wed Jan 24 01:18:25 PST 2007

(Sorry Peekay, still trying to get used to a mailing list that doesn't
default to replying to the mailing list)

Peekay Semyorka wrote:

> We should have a standardized way for clients to self-identify.  Since
> any
> client can advertise anything, such client-strings should simply be
> treated as informational, aside from the advertised protocol level.

We have been told if we pass a user-agent parameter in the login
exchange the server will log it, so all libsecondlife clients send a
user-agent string that looks something like: "ActorBot 1.0
(libsecondlife 0.0.9)". We are also sending an author parameter such as
"John Hurliman <jhurliman at wsu.edu>" but I'm not sure if they are logging
that. My take on the whole issue is submit a patch for opensl that lets
you set the user-agent field at login, fake your OS as Win and let LL
work on their long term strategy for getting rid of this system. libsl
clients also fake their version number as 1.50.50.50 (IIRC) to get
around the login failed due to old version thing, in favor of our own
update system that is coming soon.

John Hurliman