[sldev] Opening the server source?

Able Whitman able.whitman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 11:01:24 PDT 2007

> I agree. Again, I'm NOT talking about closing off the "L$ economy" at
> all. I think you and Chance and Dzonatas are completely
> misinterpreting some part of my comments here, because currency is
> completely irrelevant to what I'm talking about: there's no reason
> you shouldn't be able to buy your "Beauty and the Beast (Prince)"
> avatar in L$. That's the *easy* part.

Right, I completely agree. I'm sorry if I replied to the wrong message in
this thread; my disagreement wasn't with your point about having a common L$
currency (which is a good thing), but rather with the assertion that LL
stands to benefit from walling off their economy, which is definitely not
the case.

The alternative, to make all content automatically freely
> distributable to any grid, will require solving the *much* harder
> (and in my opinion inherently unsolvable) general DRM problem.

Yes, I'm not trying to argue that this is a trivial matter. I don't think
it's quite so hairy as having to deal with general-purpose DRM, since every
sim should be able to interpret object permissions (mod/copy/trans) the
same, so at least there's not a heterogeneous environment where you have to
map different kinds of rights between grids.

Allowing people to bring open-source servers onto the Agni grid would
> eliminate that.

And I think this is eventually what LL wants to do -- allow 3rd party sims
to join the Agni grid, in return for some recurring fee in order to hook
those sims into LL's backend services.