[sldev] Opening the server source?

Nicholaz Beresford nicholaz at blueflash.cc
Mon Jul 2 12:58:38 PDT 2007

> The export issues is different. If you really can't export your items in
> the practical sense, you really don't own them. That leads to
> Intellectual Property issues.

Well, broad acceptance doesn't happen through a company doing
something they like, but through users getting what they want.

And if the music and software industry is an example, it will
be client side assets.  Music is on my computer, software is
on my computer and I doubt that any large scale standardization
will happen with any single commercial entity being in control
of of a central part of the system.

Or can anyone imagine that a team like the one doing Apache
(and in my view the sim isn't any different from that in technical
terms) working as effectively and furiously to make a company
like Linden Labs happy?

I'm pretty sure that as soon as a viable sim side is available
through open source, it will draw a lot of developers and quite
naturally, because these developers being open sourcers, one
of the first things they will do is to make the inventory
something that is open assets.

It just makes sense, because it will be the easiest and natural
thing to do to solve a problem, because these people think
"open", because that way they will speed up development by
doing away with something that causes LL endless trouble and
for which they see no good use for anyway.

It may not draw as many builders as LL has now, because a lot
there is driven by commerce, but there are many excellent
builders doing freebies and if the environment and everything
is attractive, you'll see a lot of stuff getting there soon.

To be honest, I'd be there pretty quickly myself.  One of
the things that really gets on my nerves are the commercial
builders and vendors in SL, because they are the ones who
complain loudest about problems and provide nothing to the
community.  In that mindset, I might as well sell my patches.

Nick
---
Second Life from the inside out:
http://nicholaz-beresford.blogspot.com/