[sldev] SSE/Vector stuff

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Sat Jul 7 10:43:21 PDT 2007

Dirk Moerenhout wrote:
> Strange thing is that as far as I know LL is still building using VS
> 2003 and VS 2003 does not have the _M_IX86_FP macro so even if you
> compile with /arch:SSE2 in VS2003 you'll not get SSE2 support.
Your right! It does say that here:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e54ke6de(vs.80).aspx  Thanks
for pointing that out!

I use VS2005 Express which of course the only thing I can afford at the
time, so my docs defaulted to that version. My bad? Yep, I guess I
deserve the street for that one...?

Since it will auto-detect under VS2005, the workaround is to detect the
compiler version (being VS2003) in the _sse and _sse2 files and set
_M_IX86_FP accordingly before it includes any of the  LLV4 headers.

That should explain why some of the benchmarks came up negative even
when it should be positive despite cache pollution.

--
Power to Change the Void