[sldev] P2P/Squid Web Textures: Enabling Greater Quality Images - draft 2

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Sat Jul 7 10:51:30 PDT 2007

Tateru Nino wrote:
>> I don't think BitTorrent, or nearly any other P2P system for that matter
>> will work well for files that small. You'll probably have more protocol
>> overhead than data transferred.
>>
> Several dozen times at least, and startup costs potentially exceeding
> one minute for many existing p2p systems. Even a well spread tiny file
> can take many minutes just to contact peers, send requests, find a
> peer/seed with the data that isn't already backlogged with requests, and
> actually get data back. P2P systems become increasingly efficient as
> file-sizes increase, with your sweet spot being about 15 peers/seeds per
> requester, and a file size that is about 10 blocks per peer/seed.
> Roughly. That's a bit back-of-the-envelope.

That is an assumption that only bittorrent networks are being used for
P2P. A simple http redirect could speed up web textures greatly while it
reduces lag on the sim network.

Besides a change to prevent greater costs on the sim-side, I still don't
see a reason given why it can't be all viewer-side and/or on an external
site, like Amazon S3 or Squids.

I believe the proof itself is not just with the difference of image
quality alone, but it is with the difference in cost.

--
Power to Change the Void