[sldev] P2P Web Textures now in demand to enable lossless image downloads to viewer

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 07:38:56 PDT 2007

sldev at catznip.com wrote:
> I thought of a few problem points right when I read the proposal, but no one
> else seemed to raise them thus far so here goes:
>
> * it doesn't take into account that not everyone has unmetered data
> transfer. If it's enabled by default, those people are going to unknowingly
> waste a rather limited resource that has the potential to either get them in
> trouble with their ISP, or to receive a higher ISP bill due to increased
> transfer.
> There's no way to detect this, and you can't reasonably expect everyone to
> know or even understand, so the default for any peer should be that it
> *won't* participate in uploads.

I'm on metered bandwidth - that said, there's another SLer in the house
whose cache it would be nice to share, which is why I originally
proposed an ICP-style optional cache interconnect system.
> * there's no reliable way to determine available upstream bandwidth, nor is
> it really a constant depending on what other applications someone has
> running while they're on SL; if the P2P saturates the upstream, their SL
> experience is going to degrade immensely. No matter how small a number get
> picked by default, the bandwidth isn't guaranteed to be available.

My outbound bandwith is 4% of my inbound bandwidth. I've got 10Mbps
coming in, but a little under 512Kbps going out, and yes, filling that
up degrades things _severely_.
> * there's no guarantee that downloading from peers is going to be any faster
> than downloading through the sim (someone suggested that downloading should
> go entirely through peers). Given that the average peer will be most likely
> be a low-bandwidth (for upstream) connection, chances are it will be slower,
> especially if the route from peer to peer is congested or suddenly
> unavailable and it has to time-out

Although it _would_ reduce the time/memory consumption on simulators,
even if it's no faster.
> * are there any legal issues? What happens if a texture is being infringed
> upon and someone overzealous decides to subpoena everyone who is
> distributing the texture, or worse, if the textures are highly illegal
> pictures. The liability doesn't just have to be remote or theoretical, it
> has to be non-existent since no one but LL can claim a common carrier status

Whew. This has happened before - I believe the case is still in court
after nearly 8 years.
> * clueless on this one, but what happens to the low, medium and full detail
> texture "streaming" we currently have? Torrents download pieces randomly as
> far as I know.

It doesn't have to be torrent style, it can be straight HTTP or packeted
llsd or any other arbitrary entity encapsulation.
> I don't mean to be critical, but it doesn't seem like any of the above is
> taken into consideration and it's being debated without there being any
> actual need or practical purpose.
>
> Kitty

Tateru Nino
http://dwellonit.blogspot.com/