[sldev] SSE2 / Ouch

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Mon Jul 9 11:55:32 PDT 2007

Joshua Bell wrote:
> My fault.
Not really.

> Unfortunately, it appears that those tests were not as comprehensive
> as they should have been.
>
> As a total aside: a big part of why us Lindens are psyched up about
> the "message liberation" project is that it moves us out of the realm
> of monolithic, lock-step client/server upgrades being the norm (and
> hence, the focus of most of our process), and will force us to revamp
> our processes to focus more on asynchronous updates.

Face it... there is too much hardware out there for a
one-shot-get-it-right-for-all.  I believe this only proves that the
"release early, release often" philosophy doesn't work as well as people
have touted.

I agree with the asynchronous updates. It be *extremely cool* that when
you enter regions that you have to download a viewer plug-in update in
order to access all the features of those regions. This could translate
to something like many different versions of "viewer_region.dll" files
being found on the resident's Second Life directory. (where "region" is
replaced with the name of the region that they are at).

[I know I'm going to hear it now... "but that makes border crossing
slow!" heh... ]

--
Power to Change the Void