[sldev] Re: "But your IP wouldn't be safe"

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 13:43:56 PDT 2007

> I agree 100%.  This argument has already been used to stifle the
> discussion of (non-P2P) web fetched textures with irrelevancies
> about IP
> address exposure.

They're not irrelevancies.

We're talking about the difference between the current situation,
where an attacker would have to make a heroic effort to have a chance
of identifying a specific avatar, and it would be all for naught if
the victim simply didn't do streaming, and a situation where
sparrowfart surveillance could trivially be set up over as much of
the grid as the attacker was able to leave scanners on.

And, yes, there are people concerned about this who don't use
streaming at all, nor use third-party sites with their SL identities.